Sunday, March 20, 2011

Max O'Hartford 5k....Race #1 of 2011....

  So at the beginning of the year I set a goal for myself that I wanted to run 11 races in 2011.  At first I was doing really good preparing myself to reach that goal.  Throughout most of January I was at the gym almost every night training and was being much more careful about what I was eating.  But….by February much of that fervor faded and I found myself struggling to even want to work out…never mind being ready to run a race.  So about a month ago I did a little research and came up with a list of 14 different races I wanted to do this year (I came up with 14 just in case I missed a few…that way I wouldn’t be scrambling at the end of the year to find a way to accomplish my goal).  Well as you can see from the picture to the left, I have now officially completed one race (I have this list hanging up in my room so that every day I am reminded why I need to get out there and train)!
  Today I ran the Max O’hartford 5k and I have to be honest….for the past few days I have been so nervous about this race.  I knew I could do it….I just wanted to be sure to do it well...and well I wasn’t so confident that this would be the result!  Thankfully….this turned out to be a really good run for me!  I felt great the entire time (well minus the first two minutes when for a brief second I was wondering why in the world I was trying to torture myself like this)…and although we (my sister ran with me) did running intervals for most of the race…I felt like I could have run the whole time (kind of an amazing feat for my first race in five months)!  We finished with an official time of 39:20 (a pace of 12:40 per mile).
   One of my favorite things about this race though was getting to do it with my sister (and some of our friends)!  When I first started running two years ago I did all these races alone…and although I was proud of the accomplishment, there just felt like there was something missing.  Having my sister by my side and my friends around us (okay so maybe in front of us…hee hee) made this race so much more fun!  Watching my sister push through wanting to quit….getting to listen to her hilarious comments…and having someone there to keep me running (when on my own I might have quit)…is priceless!  Such a great way to spend a pre-birthday weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment