Friday, February 15, 2013

When Lessons Begin Only Two Days In...

  I do a weekly bible study with a friend, which usually consists of me asking obnoxious questions about the bible that either don't really matter or if they do, I could have figured out the answer for myself with a five minute google search.  But last night was a little different.  Taking a break from our study of the life of Jesus, we focused on John 15 and how God says, "I am the vine and you are the branches", and what that really means.
  One of the questions that came up was, "What is the hardest part for you in living out your faith", which ended up being a great question for me considering my answer very much flowed with the portion of scripture we read.
  You see, for me, my biggest struggle is remembering that I'm not self-sufficient and life is not about me!  While I had an idea of how prideful and self-centered I am, it wasn't until I starting "praying the hours" for lent, that I realized just how much I go off on my own through out the day doing things to build my name and for my enjoyment.  I seem to forget that the very fact that I have air to breathe or the strength to get out of bed, is truly a gift from God....and thus my life and all that I do in it should be for Him!
  So why is it so easy to make life about me?!  It probably has to do with the society we live in....a world that teaches you to make your own way in life and look out for yourself because no body is going to do it for you!  Or maybe it just has to do with human nature....since the fall of man humans have always seemed to try and make themselves the best.  Or maybe it's just my own personal thorn....something to keep me humble in those moments when I think I have it going on (all God has to do is shine a little light on that statement in order to show me just how much I don't).
  I don't know the exact reason or science behind it.  But what I do know is that if God is the vine in my branch, the one who sustains me and leads me, then taking time through out my day to just stop everything and get on my knees and pray this Lent, is a great reminder of who He is and my place in His world.  I think I am going to learn a lot this season....so here's to Lent 2013... and to the God whom it's all about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment