Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Determining What Will and Will Not, Define ME...

  The past several days I've been getting up early in order to ensure I take some quiet time to connect with God at the beginning of the day.....this is HUGE for me by the way considering I am NOT a morning person and as also a BIG fan of my bed and the snooze button.  Anyway, this morning I was reading through the devotion "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst (or rather re-reading through since you might remember I started it once before at the beginning of the year) and she pointed out something that I had long since forgotten.  Acts 5:29 says, "We must obey God rather than man"....a verse that I have heard millions of times before...but she put a bit of a spin on it and went on to explain that this verse can also be interpreted that we are to obey God over human values....things like what the world says means success or thinks is important or even finds beautiful.
  For me I know that one thing I always think about in terms of the worlds system of beliefs, is beauty.  As a woman I am inundated with images that portray the ideal woman to be skinny, with flawless skin and perfect hair.  And while I try to remind myself that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that true beauty comes from the inside not the outside, it's sometimes hard to not feel bad about myself for being overweight with frizzy hair and a freckled faced!  So I'm continually finding myself on again and off again the diet roller coaster.  I want to be healthy and fit and be a good steward of this body, so I keep trying once again to lose weight and take better care of myself.
  But one thing I realized after my quiet time this morning is that in order to truly be that, I need to make some changes, besides eating healthier and working out (both of which I've done consistently the past few days)...and the number one change I'm going to make is that I'm going to stop weighing myself every day.  I don't know when I got into that habit, but it's honestly become part of my morning routine...I get up, go to the bathroom and step on the scale.  Then depending on that number and whether or not I've been working hard on my weight loss, I will either feel like I can keep going on this healthy lifestyle one more day or think that it's all a waste of time and I'll never be fit again and thus give up.  I let the scale have too much power of me and that has got to stop.  So I've decided that I'm going back to weighing in once a week (cause lets face it, I do have to check every now and then to make sure I am going in the right direction).  To be honest....I think it's going to be hard to no longer sneak a peak each day...but I will not be a slave to the scale....my only master will be my God!  I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment