Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cause Sometimes I Need to Vent....

    Over the past several days I have been struggling a lot with people's reactions to me leaving my job.  Actually it's not even every one's reaction. but rather the reactions I've been getting from some of my fellow Christians, that have truly been bothering me.  The reality is, I shouldn't really care what people think....I know in my heart that I'm following God and that should be all that matters...But I find it a bit disconcerting when even among my brothers and sisters in Christ it seems more "crazy" for me to follow what I feel is God's leading in my life, than to stick to what's safe and comfortable despite hearing His calling!  When I started telling people that I was leaving my job, I  expected certain people not to get it.  I mean it's not normal for a person to leave their job for no good reason...let alone because they feel like God's leading them to do so ....so I can understand why some people wouldn't get it.  But....I guess I was expecting that among my family of faith it wouldn't seem so weird.  I mean if you're a follower of Christ then following His will for your life would seems like an obvious thing to do, right?!?!  Yet so many people (okay so maybe like three or four) have pulled me aside and questioned my "wisdom" in not providing for myself or to tell me to be careful that I don't get too carried away with this whole God thing and that "IF" this was even really God I should have waited until He told me what to do next before making a move (even though I felt very clearly that I needed to take this step before God would provide the next)!  
  When did Christianity become such a "safe" religion?!  When did we start allowing the "American" dream and our comfort to matter more than God's will and His Kingdom?!?  When did becoming slaves to Christ mean that we could be our own masters?!!  When did this life of faith become more about living for ourselves than  living for Christ??!?!  I know I'm being harsh here....believe me I've had to repent so many times over the past several days for being critical and cynical instead of walking in love and praying for God's people...but  It just feels like something is wrong when the Church and the World sound exactly the same! 
  And, don't get me wrong, on so many levels I can understand where people are coming from.  For most of my life I've been so afraid of what people would think of me and whether or not I would fail, that the idea of doing anything this "radical" for God was completely out of the question (although in this moment none of this seems all that "radical" to me).  But I feel like I've finally woken up to the reality that life truly is all about GOD and I want other people to get it too!  I just apparently need to work on my approach!  God help me and help us all! 

1 comment:

  1. I had no clue you were leaving your job until I saw you post about it on Facebook. I fully support you in anything you do and I feel that you are doing the right thing. I also can't wait to see where this journey will take you :) I know its easy to let what others think control our thoughts I struggle with that daily but you are a strong strong person and you will succeed in anything you are led to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete