Monday, March 25, 2013

The best kind of gifts...

  My birthday was yesterday (Hooray!) and it turned out to be a really great day for me! Honestly, I love my birthday.  It's the one time of year that I don't feel bad for wanting to feel loved and cared about! I also struggle a lot with not wanting to get my hopes up with things though.....since there's nothing worse than having your hopes dashed when things don't work out the way you expected... So all this week leading up to my birthday I kept reminding myself to not expect anything (well...anything more than the little bit I thought I knew about my party) and just to be happy with whatever happened! 
  Thankfully yesterday morning I also went to church and heard this great sermon that reminded me of the fact that I had already been given the greatest gift I could ever be given by God,  So I was pretty much feeling obscenely grateful before my birthday festivities even began!  Pretty much nothing could have ruined my mood!
  So my friend Christina sent me on a really fun scavenger hunt that involved coffee, food and books....three of my favorite things in the world! And then I ended up being led to a surprise party at her house with all my friends (which was way more than I expected)!!  We played games and ate food and talked....and it was great!
 Then sometime after mid-night I packed up all my stuff and headed home.  Before climbing into bed though I sat down and read through my cards (again) and a little box of notes/well-wishes from my friends. Some of them were silly and some of them were funny, but my favorites were the ones that reminded me that the work I put into my friendships is not in vain!  
   Sometimes I feel like people don't like me and just put up with me... and sometimes I feel like I'm a horrible friend who is too hard on the people in my life and I just drain the life out of them...and sometimes, like yesterday, I feel like my friends really do love me and are willing to go out of their way for me even when they don't have to!  And that's a pretty great birthday gift, if you ask me!
   So to all my friends and family and everyone who had a hand in making my day special,  THANK YOU, it means a lot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment