Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cause the Reality is We're All Only Human...


 I talk a lot in my life about the fact that I know I am a sinner.  I honestly mention the fact that I sin so frequently that to be honest… sometimes...sadly... I forget the weight of sin….that it cost God everything.  However, that does not negate the fact that I AM in fact…a sinner.  In any given day I will have hurt someone with either my thoughts or words… or sometimes both… I will have lied, gossiped, gotten angry or jealous,  thought more about what I want and what makes me feel comfortable than what honors God, I will have been defensive, judgmental, hypocritical….and well the list could go on and on and on…but you get the point.  The thing is… I constantly try to calm the anguish inside of me that knows I shouldn’t be this way, by simply saying, “But I’m only human”.  And what makes matters worse, is that after knowing all this filth is inside of me and after seeing what I’m capable of… I not only cast it off as "being Human", but then I go on to expect  others to NOT act that way…as if they aren’t allowed to be human as well!
  My oldest sister use to tell me all the time that it’s usually the things we dislike most about ourselves  that annoy us the most in other people….I’m pretty sure it’s an Irish proverb or something.  The thing is ...it’s so true!  You see, I don’t like that I am so……Human…..that I constantly fall down into a pit of sin…..BUT  I hate it even more when other people do it….especially when their sin affects me!  How hypocritical am I!
  For example, I can think of two very specific relationships in my life right now where I do this.  In one relationship I struggle because I feel like this other person is always trying to put on a show and act so holy, and perfect and blameless…..and in the other relationship I struggle because I always feel like the other person thinks they can treat me however they want and  yet no matter what, I should just automatically forgive them.  The thing is….if I were honest….I do the exact same things!  I can’t count the amount of times I’ve tried to come off as so perfect and holy and above it all….putting on a show in order to be accepted.  And I hate to admit it, but there are so many more times I've wronged others and then got mad because they didn’t forgive me in my time table, than times I've handed out blanketed forgiveness!  It’s pathetic!  So what right do I have to condemn others?!  I don’t! 
  Now what, though?!  It’s not like confessing this….even to God…and asking for forgiveness is going to automatically make me less of a hypocrite.  I’m not going to wake up tomorrow and never again feel frustrated by the humanness of others while at the same time dismissing my own humanness.  I can try…I can keep working towards change….but I’ll never be perfect.  So where does that leave me?  I guess it leads me towards being a little more loving, a little more understanding, and a little more compassionate.  I guess it opens my eyes up a little bit more to the reality that we are all in this together and we need each other to make.  And I guess it makes me more grateful to God, for loving me and for never giving up on me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment