Sunday, October 9, 2011

"Not a Fan" by Kyle Ingleman...


For the past year or so I’ve been quite the fan of the I am Second campaign.  Basically it’s a bunch of well known people, getting real in front of the camera, and talking about how they became followers of Christ.  So when I heard about the book “Not a Fan” by Kyle Ingleman , which has a similar aim in that it gets people to look at their said faith and choose who they will really serve, I knew I wanted to read it.  For me, it was pretty much was the kind of book that once again pointed to truths I already knew but also offered me the confirmation I needed about the current path I am on with God.
  The basic premise of the book is that many people are fans of Jesus. They know about him, know his story, know his words, but they don’t know him… just like someone who knows all about their favorite team, actor, music group, etc without actually knowing them personally.  The Challenge of the book is to step beyond just being a fan of Jesus to being his follower.  However the author is honest enough to not sugar coat the walk of faith.  He continually refers to Luke 9:23 which says “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me”, and the fact that the life God calls us to is a life of surrender and servant hood.
  Like I said, for me this was very confirming.  I feel like over the past several weeks God has been calling me deeper and deeper into my relationship with Him.  To trust Him to lead and guide me….to give him control and full reign, even when His way are not my own.  It’s like God’s been saying to me, you can continue talking the talk and doing your own thing, or you can follow me on the adventure of a lifetime by walking it out my way.  It’s not an easy road, it’s not always fun, it’s not always comfortable….but it’s true life…Abundant life.  I can be a fan….or I can choose to go all in and be a follower.  This book was like reading a contract between me and God and how I choose to live my life with be the signature I place on the dotted line!

No comments:

Post a Comment