Sunday, January 8, 2012

How do you eat an Elephant?!?!...

  So they say "If you want to eat an elephant you must do it one bite at a time", or as my mind translates it...you have to cut it up into parts.  That's why before this year even began I sat down and came up with a list of all the things I wanted in 2012, and then I took that list and broke it up into 4 different types of goals, and from that list came up with 3 specific goals I want to reach by the end of the year.  One of those goals is to get back into shape...which in a lot of ways (although not in every way) breaks down into losing weight.  After that I took my weight loss goal and broke it down even more by coming up with some monthly goals, weekly goals and daily goals.  And it's those goals that have really kept me on track this past week.
  As I was saying in my last post, this change I am making is for life, and thus this time around I've been concentrating a lot on the long term.  For that reason I set my monthly goal at wanting to lose 10lbs a month....basically losing  2.5lbs a week which seemed both healthy and completely doable.  I also decided that I needed something to keep me motivated through out the week so I am shooting to lose at least 2lbs , as well as walk and/or run 10 miles, and burn at least 4500 calories in my workouts (meaning I would have to burn 750 calories per work out and workout  6 days a week) per week.  And finally, I am making a daily commitment to drink at least 80oz of water, workout for at least 30 minutes (except on my rest day) and to stick within a certain calorie allowance.  And that's how I've chosen to break down this elephant.
  Well today was my week 1 weigh in and to be honest, I LOVE week 1 weigh ins!  There's something about a week 1 that makes me so motivated and keeps me so on track!  Last year I must have had at least 15 week 1's...unfortunately I only got to have that many because I had at least 10 week 2's and then only like 5 week 3's before I would fall of the wagon and have to start back at 1 again!  Anyway, last week I worked hard, stayed on track, and really took time to invest in the mental/emotional side of my journey (another part that I've made goals for).  This morning I weighed in and before I even stepped on the scale I knew I was happy with myself, but I won't deny that when that number showed I had lost a whopping 10.5lbs in 7 days I couldn't have been more elated!  Not only did I lose my weekly goal weight loss of 2lbs, but I even surpassed my monthly goal in just 1 week (guess I'm going to have to come up with some more goals for January)!  I am very proud of myself!  I would have been happy with 2lbs...but 10.5lbs reminds me that I'm so much stronger than I give myself credit for being, and it pushes me to only want to keep going!  Plus one of the perks of reaching my monthly goal weight is that I get a reward...and today I went out and bought myself a new pair of slippers (which were on sale for $8!  Aren't they cute?!?!)!
 As far as my other goals go, I wasn't too sure if I would be able to get in 10 miles of running and/or walking in a week.  It is January after all...meaning it's cold outside and the gym is packed...plus I've only been running sporadically for the past several months so I was a bit nervous!  Turns out, if I put my mind to it, I can always make a way...and thus this week I walk and/or ran 13 miles!  Plus that helped me reach my other goal of burning at least 4500 calories in my workouts through out the week, by giving me a grand total of 5770 calories burned!  Yep...week week 1 is definitely my favorite!
  So how did week 1 go for you?!?!  Any milestones reached?!  Any other  moments of victory you feel like sharing?!?  Any ways I can help you out?!

No comments:

Post a Comment