Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cause There Should Be a Difference....

  There's a commercial on TV for some online school, and in it there's all these people....like hundreds....all walking (well more like gliding) in the same direction, and these four people break out of the group and start walking the opposite way...breaking away from the group to find a new way.  And while I am not doing a great job of explaining the commercial (believe me I know, I even tried to youtube it to get a better explanation and even youtube didn't understand me!), I think in a lot of ways this commercial gives a great picture of what it should look like to be a Christian in this world!  So many people are just walking the path of life, following the crowd to the "American dream"!  But I think there's a different way....a better way....God's way...and to get on His path you have to step out of the crowd !  The bible says, "small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."...so why would we expect to find Him by fitting in?!?!
  And Honestly, I'm just preaching to myself here!  In fact, lately I have been thinking a lot about what it means to really give God everything.  I wonder what does that look like in every day life.... on an individual level....for me...to truly live for Him.  I don't want my faith to be something I just talk about....big words with no real meaning to back them up.  But that being said, when I look at how I spend my time, my money, my resources....I realize not a lot of that reflects what I truly believe....and there's something wrong with that!  If I truly believe in God and I take what He says in The Word seriously, then my life should be different!  I shouldn't fit so easily into the world around me!  My life should set me apart!  I should walk against the crowd!
  And I know that "looks" different ways for different people...One person might live out their life to God by being an executive in a high profile company while another might live it out on the dirty streets of a third world country...But no matter how it looks individually, there should still be a clear difference in it.  The world should be able to look at our lives and know we are different, even if they can't put their finger on why that is!  And so, even though I find myself wrestling with questions like these that only seem to be turning my life "upside down", I'm grateful to God for them...because I know that ultimately it's leading me closer to Him!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen that commercial! So true that it's a good example of what a Christian walk should look like. With a lot more pushing and shoving :)

    ReplyDelete