Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cause He is the Potter and I am the Clay...

  Most people my age hate hymns.  I love them.....L-O-V-E them!  There's just such depth and meaning behind their words.  It's so different from the Christian music we have today...not that I don't like what we have now...but Hymns...Hymns are just different.
  In my house we have this book of hymns that tells the stories behind the lyrics.  Sometimes I like to curl up with a warm blanket, a hot cup of coffee, and this book...and just read the stories.  It usually it doesn't take long before I find I am completely engrossed!  These stories are amazing!  The faith of these people....their hearts....it's just all so inspiring!
  This afternoon, it was raining, and so I took the opportunity to sit down to do just that....and as I read some of the stories, I came across the hymn "Have Thine Own Way, Lord" by Adelaide Pollard. I've always liked this hymn...it's one of the ones that I can recall to my memory after hearing just a few notes. But for those of you who don't recognize it by title, here are the lyrics...

"Have thine own way, Lord!  Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter; I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will.
While I am waiting, yielded and still"

"Have thine own way, Lord!  Have thing own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow Lord, wash me just now,
As in thy presence humbly I bow"

"Have thine own way, Lord!  Have thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior Divine!"

"Have Thine own way Lord!  Have thine own way!
Hold o'er my being absolute sway!
Fill with thy spirit till all shall see,
Christ only, always, living in me!  

  I Love that last line...Have your way....have absolute sway...fill me, till all see, Christ only, living in me! That's the cry of my heart!  Yet, what I didn't know until this afternoon was that this hymn was written at a time when Adelaide was longing and waiting to go on the missions field.  She was trying to make it to Africa, but the money just wasn't coming in and she just couldn't understand why God would burden her so much for these people, but not make it possible for her to go.  It was during that time that she heard an elderly woman pray, "Lord, it doesn't matter what you bring into our lives, just have your way with us" and she wrote these lyrics.  I cannot tell you how much I can relate to her story....different country....different circumstances....but I so get the cry of her heart ....wondering why God would burden her and not make a way for her to go!

  The past week or so....things have been rough.  I can't really put my finger on it...but I'm struggling.  I guess it's cause I feel drawn to another life ...one that I don't have YET.  It's like God's placed all these desires on my heart and called me to prepare....but the time to "Go" isn't yet....and I'm growing antsy. (Antsy in a month...yep, that's the perfect example of my own temperament)!  I hate sitting around W-A-I-T-I-N-G!  I long for something more....NOW!  But I KNOW....I mean, I K-N-O-W...that this time is important.  God's doing something in this........He's changing me....chipping things away...double checking the foundation...molding me....creating something more... deep within.  Therefore I will not stifle his work by demanding my own way! I will not rush the process. Instead....like Adelaide Pollard...I will say, "Have thine own way, Lord.  Have thine own way!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment