Tuesday, November 20, 2012

When You Allow Life to be an Adventure....

  I have spent a lot of time over the past month or so thinking about the will of God and whether or not God has a specific plan for each of our lives that He expects us to figure out  and follow.  It's hard for me to understand how a God who is so specific in how He formed us, where He placed us in the span of history and the details of our being...like the number of hairs on our head and the amount of tears we have cried...would not be as specific in leading us through out our said life!  I often think that I would like nothing more than to slip God a $20 and have Him hand me over a cheat sheet guide to my life.  But...then I realize...His way is so much better!
  After talking to countless amounts of people and reading many books on the topic, I have come to the conclusion that while God may know the ins and outs of our life and what we will do with it....we don't need to.  And while I long for the kind of control that comes from knowing the future and how it will all play out, that kind of life leaves no room for God.  The kind of life God calls us to is a life of faith and of trust....a life that says I don't know what the future holds but I know who holds my future and that is enough for me.  I think it's a life of sacrifice and giving up our desires, wants and have to haves in order to experience something so much better...beyond what we knew existed.  It's saying to God, I'm giving you everything...I've put all my eggs in your basket...I am expecting you to come through...because I know you will!
  I think that's what leads us to a real relationship with God.  I think having that kind of dependence on Him is what it means to actually be His children!  While it probably would be easier to be given some money and a road map and then sent out on our way, God instead invites Himself into our adventure...or rather us into His....and it makes the journey so much more exciting!  I have to wonder if in those moments when we act like the prodigal son, asking for our inheritance in order to take off once we have it....aka demanding God tell us what to do with our lives so we can go off and do it without Him...., if God's not much like the father in that story....heart-broken to see us go, but already planning the party for our return!
  I don't know what the future holds...I can't see how everything will work out and quite honestly I don't know that everything I desire today, I will still want tomorrow.  But what I do know is no matter what comes my way, I want to share the experience sitting on God's lap knowing He's got the steering wheel!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment