Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What I've Started doing to Combat Worry...

I am a worry-wort.
I don't really know why,
but it probably has to do
with my control issues.
None the less
when I am 
working on or
working through
something 
my mind automatically
thinks of the 
900 million possibilities
of how things could go wrong
and before I know it,
I am completely stressed out.

It's absolutely ridiculous
and quite honestly 
shows how much growing
I still need to do 
when it comes to
TRUSTing in
my relationship 
with God. 

Lately though
it seems
my stress level
has been at 
an all time high.
I have spent 
more hours
than I can count
talking myself off
the invisible ledges
I create 
all because of
the what if's
that flood my mind!

So...
in an effort to 
combat this,
I've decided to 
take a cue from Jesus.

In the Bible 
there is a story
about how Jesus
was tempted by the Devil
for 40 days in the wilderness.
The devil would try to tempt Him
with power, prestige, etc
and each time
Jesus responded 
with the "Word of God".

To be honest
I've never been really good
about trying to memorize scripture.
I normally blame it on the fact
that I have a horrible memory,
but the reality is
I am just lazy.

However, as I read
the story of Jesus' temptation,
I couldn't help but think
how maybe the best defense
against my stress and anxiety
would be the Word as well!
Scripture does say
That the truth will set you free
and God's word is truth.

So...
I've started memorizing scripture.
Every day this week
I've picked a new verse
to try to memorize
and meditate on through out the day.
Things like
"Do not be anxious 
about anything
but in everything 
through prayer and petition
with thanksgiving
present your requests to God
and the peace of God
which transcends all understanding
will guard your heart and your mind
in Christ Jesus"
(Philippians 4:6-7)
and
"Trust in the Lord
with all your heart
and lean not on 
your own understanding.
In all your ways 
acknowledge Him
and He will make 
your paths straight".
(Proverbs 3:4-6).

I can't say doing this
has magically made 
all my worry disappear.
But I can say
that in those moments
when I feel that anxiousness
bubbling up inside of me,
I remind myself of my daily verse
and for that moment 
that I am concentrating on the word,
my mind is off what is stressing me.
And I think,
that is at least
a step in the right direction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment